First off, this has been a bear of a week at work. After a quietish summer, we have now been slammed and this has seriously cut into the knitting/spinning time around here, hence my lack of posts. However, I DO have some finished yarn to show y'all today!
Since last Friday, I put in some concerted effort on getting the SW merino/nylon roving from Zen Yarn Garden spun up and I finished all the singles for this yarn. Here they are, divided up, from right to left, with the roving I spun without splitting, the roving I split into quarters, and the roving I split into twelfths.
I then plied these onto each other, for a 3-ply yarn. I put a fair amount of twist into the singles and spun them worsted, smoothing the yarn as I went, and then also put in an equally generous amount of twist into the singles for a hard, smooth, tightly spun yarn that hopefully will hold up really nicely for socks.
Original Roving: From Zen Yarn Garden, 75% superwash merin and 25% nylon, hand-painted roving.
Colorway: Originally #103001, but I renamed it Days of Wine and Roses. Lots of really pretty burgundies, russets, and burnt-red colors throughout.
Spin Technique: Short draw and worsted, 3-ply.
Weight/Yardage: 4.8 ounces of finished yarn, yielding 450 yards.
I have to come clean and say this didn't turn out like I expected. I'm not unhappy with it, by any means, but wow - the colors surprised me.
I am hopeful, however, the Mim will be happy with it. This one is headed off to her in SLC as a possible handspun candidate for a project in her upcoming book. (Do be sure to pop over to her blog to read about the details if you haven't already!) Looking forward to seeing this one knit up.
Next up on deck, my Waterlilies roving from Lori at Oceanwind Knits - this month's club installment will be here before I know it, and I'd like to at least get started on spinning August's.
All for now....