It's definitely getting to be picnic weather, so here are my top ten things to bring on a picnic:
1. Iced tea: Preferably the sweet tea kind, but I'm flexible on that point. :)
2. Watermelon: Ice cold and pre-cut so you can use it as a finger food.
3. Fried chicken: I eat almost nothing fried anymore, but something about the crunch and the salt while sitting, eating outdoors just seems so right.
4. Homemade rolls: The soft kind you pull apart. As a foil for all that fried chicken saltiness.
5. Chocolate sheet cake: I like it with a vanila frosting, or maybe a burnt sugar caramel glaze.
6. Plenty of napkins and plates, and maybe some Wet Ones too.
7. Comfy folding chairs - We have a couple we got for horse race weekend/camping that are actually fairly comfortable, lightweight, and have a cup holder!
8. Bug spray: Ugh - nothing worse than having to go to the ER after your significant other gets stung.
9. Sunscreen: And lots of it. Pasty-girl me needs 100 SPF applied liberally.
10. A good book and/or knitting: Something that doesn't take a lot of concentration so you can doze off into a food-induced coma in the sun.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have a slightly older cousin I grew up with, whose birthday is just a week or so after mine in July. We used to have a combined birthday party for the two of us many years that involved eating outside, and other than corn on the cob (a requirement as far as he was concerned, and easy to prepare since the party was in the back yard), the menu of numbers 1 thru 5 was pretty much what he and I asked for every year. Which I suppose tells me my food tastes have not progressed past what I liked in grade school, but there ya go!
All for now.....